Monday, June 04, 2012

SPC - Something Old

Something Old I love this old photo of my Great Grandfather at Lake Michigan. First of all, it is beautifully composed and perfectly exposed. But besides that, it defies most of my beliefs about him. He was a farmer. He wouldn't do something so "undignified" as standing on a bench on a beach at Lake Michigan -- let alone have his picture made doing so. Maybe he and I have more in common than I may have thought. :-)

I didn't know W.A. Stockwell. He was born in 1888 and died in 1971, a few years before I came along. Still, there are stories told at family gatherings and none of them that I recall mention the side of him that I find in this photograph. I think that's why I like it so much.

****

For Self Portrait Challenge in the month of June, we are exploring the old "good fortune" adage, "Something Old/Something New/Something Borrowed/Something Blue"

1 comment:

Julia said...

That's really neat, Jeremy!! Thanks for sharing!