Tuesday, July 07, 2009

SPC - 'Seven Deadly Sins' - #1

So it's the first Tuesday in July which means it's time to reveal the new challenge theme over at Self Portrait Challenge.

The Seven Deadly Sins.


I'll admit that I'm a fan of the David Fincher film, Se7en. The very first time I watched it, my girlfriend was not with me. After seeing it, I was so excited about it that I forced her to watch it with me. Not a good move. She hated it. Not because it wasn't well made, but because she found it utterly disturbing. For months afterward, she was still bothered by images from this movie. Lucky for me, she married me anyway. :-)

William Somerset as played by Morgan Freeman explains -- "There are seven deadly sins, Captain: Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Pride, Lust, and Envy. Seven."

Again, that's

Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
Wrath
Pride
Lust
Envy

Here's Wikipedia's article on the Seven Deadly Sins, if that's of interest.

I'm also hoping that some of our talented writers will see this as an opportunity to pursue these themes.

How does it affect you?
How does it affect those you love?
How does it affect society at large?

***********************

Here's my first shot:
greed



"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works."
--Gordon Gekko from 1987's Wall Street.

Several market bubbles later, are we ready to ReThink this yet?

The pastor at my church has emphasized several times recently that if you woke up this morning and had the opportunity to take a warm shower (whether you actually did or not!) and had to choose which clothes to wear, you are numbered among the wealthiest and most privileged of this world. Helps to put things into perspective.

No comments: