Tuesday, February 10, 2009

SPC -- 'Introduce Yourself' #2

Introverted

I am an introvert.

The older I get the more I realize that this is true.

I had friends in college who were big into the Myers-Briggs method of determining personality types.  I don't think I ever took the actual test, but I've been told my several individuals that I am INFP.

The "I" at the front end of that combination of letters stands for "Introversion."

Some people have the wrong idea about introversion versus extraversion.  It has little to do with how one behaves in social activities; it is not that an introvert is incapable of enjoying oneself at a party or gathering; it is not that they appear 'backwards'; it has more to do with how those social activities affect the person.

Extraverts tend to be energized by spending time with people, especially large groups, but tend to be 'drained' by spending time alone.

For introverts, it's the opposite.  Introverts tend to be energized by spending time alone, but tend to be 'drained' by spending time with people, especially large groups.

I wrote the following in the '25 Random Things' meme that's been circulating around Facebook, recently.  I think it summarizes my thoughts on the matter:

I am still a night owl. It is not uncommon for me to be up at 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning. I find that I need this time for myself. I draw energy from it. I find that if I spend four hours from 10pm to 2am working on the computer or watching a movie, etc. that I'm better off the next day than if I had spent those four hours sleeping.


Well, that's a little bit more about me.  Check the SPC group for more introductions.

No comments: