Monday, February 06, 2006

random...

I was recently asked, "Did you see there is a new Enya CD out?" My response:

I was out last night (that would have been Thursday last) at Lowe's,
Wal-Mart, and Target looking for a toothbrush holder to replace the one that I
broke yesterday morning. (This will be the opening sentence of my
auto-biography, though it has nothing to do with my anger issues).

When I was at Wal-Mart, I had to check the $5.50 DVD bin, which is
now a rack, instead -- nearby, I noticed "new music" and thought I saw something
from Enya, but didn't pick it up, even to look at it.

As luck would
have it, I was listening to some old Enya yesterday. That's a
ka-winky-dink!

By the way, I never did find my toothbrush
holder. I thought I was going crazy! Every place had fancy themed
toothbrush holder that had a matching trashcan, shower curtain, soapdish, etc.
but I never found just a plain-old-stick-it-to-your-wall toothbrush holder.

BTW -- I'm totally blogging this! I don't know, I just like
the sound of it -- BANG!!

Later,
Jeremy

Toothbrush holder update: We did find one over the weekend at Meijer that should work. Thanks for asking.


Films Recently Watched:

Ed Wood (1994) dir. by Tim Burton
A relatively obscure film by Burton, one that I'd never seen before.

While it is true that no one else could have made this film the way Burton did, I'll go a step further and say that no one else in their right mind would have made this film at all. Fortunately, not many people have ever accused Tim Burton of being in his right mind, which is something he has in common with the wild character whose name graces the title of the film, Edward D. Wood, Jr. In Ed Wood, we see the how's and why's of some of the absolute worst movies of all time. Understand that this is not a documentary, but it plays like one at times. Quite entertaining.

Johhny Depp plays Ed Wood and is magnificent here, as usual. I was also particularly impressed with Martin Landau playing a wonderful, Boris-Karlov-hating, Bela Lugosi. The film also stars Sarah Jessica Parker, Patricia Arquette, Bill Murray, and last, but not least, George 'The Animal' Steele! How this one slipped under my radar all these years is beyond me, but I'm happy to have seen it now.

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) dir. by Tay Garnett
This caught my eye because the novel on which the film is based was written by James M. Cain, who also wrote the novel, Double Indemnity, which was made into a film by the same name that has become a recent favorite of mine. As is often the case, I was expecting to be blown away but was disappointed.

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) dir. by Frank Lloyd
Years ahead of its time. Well done.

First Blood (1982) dir. by Ted Kotcheff

Cold Mountain (2003) dir. by Anthony Minghella
I made Christy promise that she would watch the first 10 minutes of this with me. She was hooked. Wonderful camera work throughout. Solid performances from Jude Law, Renée Zellweger, and Nicole Kidman. Good story. Good film.

The Matrix Reloaded (2003) dir. by Andy & Larry Wachowski
The Matrix Revolutions (2003) dir. by Andy & Larry Wachowski
Removed from the hype/disappointment of their initial release, these movies stand up, in my opinion. As individual films, they still don't match the first film in the Matrix series, but they aren't as bad as many would like to believe they are.

Toy Story 2 (1999) dir. by John Lasseter, Ash Brannon, Lee Unkrich

The Philadelphia Story (1940) dir. by George Cukor

The Polar Express (2004) dir. by Robert Zemekis

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958) dir. by Richard Brooks


Quote of the week:
Never judge a book by its movie. – J. W. Eagan

No comments: