Monday, January 23, 2006

Jury Duty

Mr. Bays, My 8th grade civics teacher would be proud. I showed up for jury duty this morning. I didn't end up getting selected for the jury, but it was an interesting and educational experience, nonetheless. The charge was driving while intoxicated, but from the sounds of things, the girl who was charged refused the breathalyzer test. I did get seated in the jury box and was one of twelve to be asked specific questions, but I guess they didn't like the look of me or something. What the defense really wouldn't have liked was my answer to a question that I was never asked. The prosecutor asked every other potential juror in the box this specific question, "Do you consume alcohol?" With one exception, every person answered this question in the affirmative varying from "very rarely" to "every evening after work." The exception was a young girl who got grilled when she answered no. Never? Not even on special occasions, the prosecutor questioned incredulously. Turned out, she was 19 and thus, under the legal drinking age. I think I would have had a hard time convincing them that I've never consumed a drop of alcohol of any sort in my whole life. I think I would have had a harder time convincing them that though this is true, I don't have a problem with those who do have a drink now and then within their limits. Oh well. It was interesting to see our Justice system at work, but I was glad to be dismissed.

Random quote of the week:
"It went from cool to Wal-Mart because of Reuben" - Pat Hannon

Films Recently Watched:

King Kong (2005) dir. by Peter Jackson
Christy and I recently had a day off together so we saw this. My second time. Christy agreed to go see this with me if I promised to tell her when to close her eyes. So I told her when, and for the most part, she watched anyway. Go figure! Honestly, I should back off from some of the complaints I had about the length of the film and the length of a few certain sequences. I didn't notice these problems nearly so much my second time.

The Prince of Egypt (1998) dir. by Brenda Chapman, Steve Hickner, Simon Wells

On the Waterfront (1954) dir. by Elia Kazan

Chinatown (1974) dir. by Roman Polanski

The Empire Strikes Back (1980) dir. by Irvin Kershner

No comments: