Thursday, October 21, 2004

Autumn Party #2

Autumn Party #2 was yesterday morning. Hannah's took her very first field trip with her daycare to Howell Farms in Middletown, Indiana. Christy and I both took the day off to go with Hannah and about 19 other 2 year olds. Thankfully, it wasn't just us, there were plenty of teachers, parents, grandparents there to keep the children moving in the right direction. Leaving the daycare facility at 10:00 and needing to be back there by 11:30 for lunch followed by naps didn't allow for much time once we were there, but it was still fun. Each child got to pick a small pumpkin to take with them (we're getting quite a little collection of pumpkins). They were supposed to pick it from the patch, but with recent wet weather, the field was too muddy for a bunch of 2 year olds, so they picked from pumpkins that the owners had set out in a nearby grassy field. I believe the children were also supposed to pick an apple from a tree in their orchard, but the orchard was too muddy as well. Hannah rode there and back in a van and I wouldn't be surprised if she thought that was the most fun part of the trip. When they were getting ready to head back to the daycare, Hannah said to Christy, "I go in the truck now, you not go in the truck." The teachers said that all the kids were a little wound up for the rest of the day, but I think that everyone had a good time.

What?? No pictures. Well, no, not yet. That's the rest of the story, I'm afraid.
(see below for pictures added 11/04/2004)

(Page 2)

I've had my Fuji digital camera for almost 3 years. I got it around Thanksgiving, 2001, knowing that Hannah would arrive sometime in early 2002. It's been a great camera for us. I really like the versatility that digital photography offers. I can delete bad shots instantly, easily print/develop only those shots that I want for an album, easily edit shots using user-friendly software, etc. However, yesterday, I turned the camera on to begin taking pictures and got a "FOCUS ERROR" and a flashing red light. Uh-Oh. Power off, power on, same. Remove batteries, replace batteries, same. Uh-Oh. This can't be good...

For the time being, I asked the parents of one of Hannah's friends if they would mind sharing some of their pictures by e-mail. They were kind enough to agree, so perhaps when I get those pictures, I'll update this post.

I am kind of in process about replacing our digital camera. I took our old one to Jack's Camera Shop in Muncie, hoping it might be something simple (yeah, right!) and they were willing to send it off to Fuji for a repair estimate, but that was going to be expensive too. I ended up purchasing a very early Christmas present for me, a Canon PowerShot S1 IS and am tinkering with it a little trying to decide whether or not to keep it. It has a lot of features that I really like. I'm still trying to determine if it is more camera than I need or will use. Hopefully I'll soon have some pictures to post from the new camera!


Films Watched Recently:
My Darling Clementine (1946) dir. by John Ford
This film tells the story of Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday, the town of Tombstone, and the shootout at the OK Corral. I like this and I am still enjoying Henry Fonda, but I have to admit that I'm partial to this story and these characters as they are portrayed in the film Tombstone (1993) starring Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer.


Lastly . . .
Don't come here to get your news about sports, as I follow most sports from a distance. I try to keep up on how the Colts or Pacers are doing and who their latest coach is; I may check a score here or there if I see them playing, but that's about the extent of it. But, I must acknowledge the historical accomplishment of the Boston Red Sox last night.

I didn't see any of the first three games they played in this series (which were won by the Yankees). I was on the computer the night that game 4 was played, but had the game on in the other room, so I saw Boston win that one, but I also heard the know-it-alls after the game virtually dismissing that victory for Boston and indicating that for a team as strong as the Yankees having three more chances to win one more game, it was really just a matter of time. I didn't see any of games 5, 6, or 7, but heard this morning that the Red Sox won 4 in a row after being down 0-3, apparently, something that has never been done in baseball before.

Could the Curse of the Bambino finally be over?? We'll see.

[EDIT 11/04/2004] Added pictures - courtesy of Chad & Kim





No comments: